Monday, September 19, 2022

A Sense of Familiarity Perhaps?

Least to say, my second year of university was anything but. 

With a dreadful pandemic looming over our heads and uncertainty grappling every situation,  the only adventurous moment would have to be booking last minute tickets and flying back home with a scarf as my makeshift mask because the local pharmacy was out of N95s. 


While I’ve been blessed to have returned home safely, my second year of law did turn out to be more overwhelming than what I had anticipated. My learning experience had reduced to lectures on a thirteen inch screen, seminars on zoom, and frequent virtual reunions with friends. Life had become monotonously mundane and haplessly stressful at the same time. During this time, I made a few changes in my studying style to ensure productivity which I hope helps you too.



  1. Shorter study sessions work out better than you think. I would organize 50 minute study sessions followed by a 10 minute. This usually goes in compliance with the structure abided by most professors in their two-hour lectures and proves to be an effective one.
  2. Don’t worry if you’re unable to complete a two hour lecture in exactly two hours or less. It’s common to have a slower pace when you’re studying online or revising older content by making notes from Panopto lectures.
  3. Go through your reading lists before every seminar and try to at least briskly read through it to familiarize yourself with the journal articles and academic commentary. You don’t realize how valuable discussions are in seminars until you approach an exam.
  4. Reach out for all the support available to you; including academic writing services. University certainly expects a higher level of writing and jargon from us than what our schools did. It’s better to clear those doubts than to wistfully hope our professors will serve us with the same.


I truly hope your second year never has to be as confined and limited as mine was under these unprecedented circumstances! 


Thank you for taking the time to read through this. Hoping this helps. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read More

A Sense of Familiarity Perhaps?

Least to say, my second year of university was anything but.   With a dreadful pandemic looming over our heads and uncertainty grappling eve...