Monday, June 20, 2022

A Series of Stumbles as a Fresher (And How to Avoid Them)

 Bated breaths and nerve-wracking jitters

When I first got the news of having gotten into my desired (and quite interesting) law degree at the University of Birmingham, I was ecstatic, to say the least. But the sooner I got to flying out, the more anxious I grew; not because of the amazing academic experience ahead, but from the idea of leaving my family behind. As a shy introvert, the knowledge of this fact alone was enough to frazzle my nerves. So when I finally took the leap—from a country flooding with sunshine to one scooped up in rain—settling in became a task that got easier with a city as warm and embracing as this one. Of course, this doesn’t mean there weren’t hurdles along the way. After all, without them, I wouldn’t have been able to devise a set of tips to share with you.


1) Climate plays an important factor in deciding where you want to study. For a place like Brum, days are wonderfully bright during summer while the sun sets awfully soon in the last three months of the year. And yes, it can rain almost anytime, without precaution, regardless of the time of year. The city loves its rain. Hopefully you do too!


2) As a fresher, make sure to join student groups organized by the Guild. While this took a bit of self-encouragement in my case, it certainly has benefited me. It’s not necessary to join groups only relevant to your chosen degree. Be a part of any group that interests you. It helped me with the frequent bouts of homesickness in first year. It’ll surely be something you won’t regret either.


3) Not everything is open 24x7 (unfortunately this came as a surprise to me). As opposed to where I’ve grown up, stores here close earlier than I would’ve expected. Weekends are a different story when it comes to shopping sprees, because New Street probably never looks as silent as it does on Sunday evenings.


4) Even if it’s just first year and you’re only settling in, don’t let yourself derail from academics too much. Panopto is a blessing when it comes to revising for lectures, but don’t let that become a coping mechanism. I tried it that way and let’s just say it wasn’t the wisest decision. Try attending all your seminars even if you miss a few lectures. They’re an interactive way to clarify doubts and share your views on the topic at hand.


5) Gear up for reading lists and a lot of referencing! As a law student, these were the two constants of my life, other than the ones I brought upon myself (like procrastination driven all nighters oops). Reading lists come great in handy when preparing for coursework. They might be a little lengthy, but I’d be lying if I said none of the journal articles intrigued me further on the subject. As far as referencing is concerned, make sure to understand that thoroughly. They might seem like a formality requirement, but they form a crucial part of all your assignments. The form of referencing varies with degree programs, so make sure you don’t mess up on that. 


All these things are lessons I learnt in my first year of university. I sign off hoping they’ll help you too, or at least will become things you’ll find familiar and relatable.


Thank you!


1 comment:

Read More

A Sense of Familiarity Perhaps?

Least to say, my second year of university was anything but.   With a dreadful pandemic looming over our heads and uncertainty grappling eve...